Are you taking a much deserved trip? Trying to beat the cold? Maybe it's just time to explore? Here's a handy traveler checklist from Travel.gc.ca:
- Carry a Canadian passport that is valid well beyond the date of your planned return to Canada; keep a copy of the identification page separate from the original.
- Leave copies of your passport identification page, itinerary and insurance policy with friends or family.
- Obtain any required visas well in advance.
- If traveling with children, carry documentation proving your right to accompany them (e.g. a consent letter or court order).
- Arrange for travel health insurance and take care of health needs, such as eyeglasses, prescriptions, vaccinations and medical certificates and supplies.
- Anticipate financial needs, such as local currency and departure tax.
- Check whether dual citizenship is an issue for you.
- Obtain an International Driving Permit, if required.
- Visit travel.gc.ca for essential Country Travel Advice, emergency contacts, a directory of Canadian embassies and consulates, safe-travel publications and information on traveling with children, living abroad and returning to Canada.
- Download their Travel Smart mobile app at travel.gc.ca/mobile for essential travel information on the go.
- Sign up for Registration of Canadians Abroad service at travel.gc.ca/register.
And our biggest tip: Travel Insurance is for everyone! Whether you're 25 or 75, make sure to inquire about what options are available to you before your departure to make sure your trip is one to remember.